Nov 30, 2010
If you are running windows Vista or Windows 7 your MetaTrader software may not be running properly. The most common issues include:
- Metatrader does not update to the latest version
- Charts / indicators / experts will not save when Metatrader restarts.
- It can’t save history to run back testing.
- Expert advisors won’t run.
- It can’t open a demo account.
- Username and password doesn’t get saved on restart.
- User can’t save files on Expert folder.
The reason for these issues is that starting with Windows Vista Microsoft changed the default security settings for the “Program Files” folder, making it so MetaTrader may not be able to save all necessary information to the Hard Drive, this new feature on Windows is called User Account Control or UAC.
Note: Windows Vista protects “systemroot” files and folders with permissions designed for Windows Resource Protection (WRP), which can only be accessed by the System service. Administrators can read system files and folders but cannot write to them. Note that this differs from previous versions of Windows. Source: Microsoft Web Site about UAC.
There are several ways to fix this problem. Some require you to reinstall MetaTrader on a different folder and some require you to run complex command prompt tasks:
The best way to resolve the UAC issue is to install MetaTrader in a different folder from its default location. When installing MetaTrader 4 just after the license agreement, you can change the installation folder for example from:
Then continue with the installation as usual and your MetaTrader 4 will run with no problems.
Change the folder permission of the folder where MetaTrader is already installed, this may be a good option if you have many instances of MetaTrader installed in your system and don’t want to reinstall them.
- Locate in the windows explorer the folder where you have installed MetaTrader 4, right-click the folder and then click Properties.
- This will open the property screen for this folder and on the Security tab click on Edit.
- A new screen will open, select Users, check Full control (Allow) and then Apply.
- Select Trusted Installer, check Full control (Allow) and then Apply.
- Select Administrators, check Full control (Allow) and then Apply.
- Click all OK and you are done.
Change the folder permission using the command prompt, this is the most difficult option for non experienced users.
- Press the Win keyboard key or click on Start button.
- Type cmd in the Start/Search textbox.
- Just before pressing enter press and hold Ctrl+Shift then hit the Enter key. (Ctrl+Shift+Enter is the keyboard shortcut that triggers the user elevation to “Run as Administrator”)
- Press continue to confirm the UAC elevation warning prompt.
- Type the text below inside the command prompt window, replace the text in “quotes” with the folder path of your MetaTrader installation:
icacls “C:\Program Files (x86)\FXCM MT4 powered by BT” /t /grant %UserDomain%\%UserName%:(OI)(CI)F
- Hit enter and the command will run for a few seconds and it should end with a success message.
It is essential for expert advisors to be able to save information to the hard drive; we highly recommend you follow this tutorial to have your MetaTrader Installation running smoothly.